Wednesday, August 23, 2006

@#$%&*!!

Give me Quicktime or give me death!!
NDNation.com today has a link titled "Changes to Irish All-Access".

A few weeks ago, ND made their pay 'All Access' online video service totally free. From the looks of it, they run the Coach's weekly show, interviews with players, and other general fluffy reports on comings and goings around (primarily) the football team.

The other day, I went over there to try out the newly-gratis service and found that the videos streaming playback was choppy at best and most often just cut-out after 30 seconds or so..

So when I read that there were changes released, I thought surely this meant that they had addressed some of this bugginess in the playback or beefed up the bandwidth or something..

But instead, all I get is a message saying the following:
I run Firefox on a Mac. I'm about as Microsoft independent (without being a zealot) as you're likely to find..
But this is really starting to piss me off!
So there's a link at the bottom of the message that says 'Click here if you're a Mac user.'
So I clicked it... I mean, hey, maybe they have some kind of support for non-IE, non-Windows users..


But instead, I got this:
and that's when I really got pissed.
CSTV.com, a CBS company, supposedly #1 in College sports is telling me that if I'm not running Windows with IE 6, I'm SOL.

So I'm wondering-- from a product delivery standpoint... how are these changes for the better? I am a patron of this site who previously could watch these videos-- granted they did appear to be stop-motion animation at times, but nonetheless, it was a start.

Now CSTV, which has apparently gotten UND.com to sign a partnership agreement, has decided that the non-Windows community can take a walk.

I suspect there'll be some kind of mass feedback sent to the University on this.. I won't be surprised if this changes in the next few weeks..

But then, there's that voice in my head that says Here goes Microsoft again.. using that market leverage to force inferior products on us all once again. If you want to see this ND content, you've got to be a user of our crappy software..

Worse yet, they basically say "Hey, don't worry-- with the next release of OS X, Apple is going to bundle BootCamp which will allow you to install the ENTIRE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM on your Macintosh, all just so you can watch some of our cheesey videos.

No, I mean it.. they really say that:

Once you have installed Boot Camp and Windows XP, Service Pack 2 you will be able to view All Access content on a Macintosh if you are booted up using the Windows XP platform.

What on earth would I want to do that for??

Have these people not heard of Quicktime?

So now, all I'm looking for is an email address to which I can vent my anger over this stupidity..

No comments: