Sunday, September 09, 2007

Week 2: Penn State

Just back from a brief weekend trip to Louisville to visit some old friends from college. Pretty wiped out tonight-- don't really have it in me to stay out of bed much longer, but just had to bring myself to review some of the Tivo 'film' of the ND-PSU game from yesterday.
Sometime during the first half of the game, while we were all at dinner at our friends house up inKentucky and I'd lost all track of what time it was-- I wasn't planning on tracking the game at all during the day yesterday and just enjoy the visit-- I got a text message from a guy I work with. It just said "Go Irish! I can't believe I just said that."
Now that I'm watching the game, I can see what he was talking about. Through much of the first half, the Irish look.. well.. they look okay. Not great. Not particularly powerful. The offense is clearly waaay behind the defense. But they look okay. Clausen is throwing and running with some confidence. Armando Allen is still fast-- though he's having some trouble with his footing. And the defense is playing with some intensity.
Of course, I know what happens. Promising as the offense may look, they still can't put together an extended drive. They go three-and-out ALL THE TIME... and that saps the intensity from the defense.. and pretty soon they can't staunch the onslaught any longer.

But hey.. the Walls interception looked good. The forced fumble on the ensuing PSU possession was a good sign as well.

O-line needs to get straightened out and fast. So many false starts. Discipline. Chemistry.

Okay.. I can't take any more. I'm going to bed.

No comments: