Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It's hard to be three...

We've been reminded repeatedly in the last many weeks, my wife and I, that we have a three year-old in the house. Or rather, we must remind ourselves of that-- otherwise, we might be inclined to think we're doing a really, really poor job as parents.
Behaviors from Bryce, the three year old, range from:
1) explosive tantrums
2) foot stomping
3) dramatic crossing of arms and cinching of brow
4) shouting that sounds more like barking "no no NOO!"
5) swinging of arms, pounding of fists-- on others, on self, on inanimate objects-- often accompanied by #2, foot-stomping.

I could go on.
And all this for simple offenses (by us, the parents) such as
1) requiring a jacket be worn when going outside
2) asking that Bryce take turns with his older brother
3) mandating that jelly beans and chocolate chip cookies are not good breakfast foods

Explosive. This is the word that most easily comes to mind lately when I describe my younger son's moods these days.

You'd think we'd have learned. I mean, we did live a whole year with a three year-old in the house once before. But that was a few years ago.. and our collective memory is not what it should be in matters like these.

So, sad as it is, I took some solace today when I read Blabbermouse's recent post, "In the Key of Three," about her own son, also three, and some of the behavior they've been seeing.

Parents in community with one another-- so much of the bonding we do comes from this basic feeling: "Oh thank God, we're not the only ones!"

No comments: