Sunday, November 06, 2005

Rocky Topped....

.. but still rocky.
We had our friends John and Christie and their kids over for dinner and to watch the game. The kids frolic'd downstairs as we cheered through the first half... and as we shouted Zibby to the end-zone in the second half...

Irish 41
Vols 21


So what are we to make of this victory over Tennessee?
The Irish looked great in the first quarter, uncharacteristically slow in the second quarter, and after half-time, the Tennessee defense was positively slicing through the Offensive line to get to Quinn.

Now, as I've said before, I'm no kind of football expert. All I'm putting here are my simple reflections of my experience of the game... my experience from the couch...

But it was clear that the Tennessee defense had worn down the Irish by the second-half.

So by the time the Vols tied it up at 21, I can safely say I was biting my fingernails and worrying a bit about what I'd have to say at work on Monday...

But God Bless Jeff Samardzija. He's the reason I don't have to worry about that tonight.

And my goodness, did anyone else see the way he gripped the baseball and football that Lewis Johnson handed him during his post-game interview.. gripped them in ONE HAND. I mean, he held that baseball in his hand.. and then, while Johnson was making some kidding remark about how Jeff was going to have to make a decision in his future about holding one of these [the baseball] or one of these [the football]-- and he went to put the football in Jeff's other hand.. but instead, Jeff just extended three fingers and gripped the ball so he was holding both in the same hand. No wonder he makes such amazing catches.

A couple of notes:

  • Great catch, Maurice. Too bad, I don't think you caught a ball all game after that. But you did put on some outstanding blocks (like the one that sprung Samardzija for 73).
  • Pat Haden said of Samardzija: "You know, it's surprising when he doesn't catch them."
  • It was wonderful to see Fasano rumble toward the end-zone and then get horizontal.. and with just enough momentum to tag the pylon with the ball... beautiful.

No comments: