Friday, March 28, 2008

Dunkin Google Street View..

So Nashville Twitterati are all abuzz with the warm glow of Google Street View showing off all the sights in our fair town... if you know where I live, you can take a happy little Sunday Drive through my neighborhood and see my wife wait patiently for you to pass at an intersection on our street before she pulls out. It's always calm on Google Street view, you never have to worry about using your blinker.. and it's always late summer/early fall there. It's beautiful.

So tonight it occured to me to check out my old home town-- Leominster Massachusetts. And while almost none of Leominster appears to have been covered by the Street View crew, there were a couple of major thoroughfares near my old house highlighted in StreetView-blue, so I decided to take a little tour around town. It's been almost 8 years since I've been back there afterall.

And I have to say, this is a weird experience. I can imagine what it would be like driving through town-- that feeling of familiarity mixed with the alien sense of things not quite the same.
That alien feeling is all the more intense when you're 'driving' around town through a series of sometimes-not-all-so-contiguous freeze frames of streets and traffice.

But it's still pretty freakin' cool!

And then, just as I was about to wrap up, I decided to take a run down Central Street.. it caught my eye because on the Map, it appears that there's a big gap in the Street-View highlighting.. as if they skipped a quarter-mile of the road when they were filming. Did they lose the hard drive that day? bad sector?

So I pressed the Google accelerator and pressed onward toward the breach.. and a funny thing happened.
We turned into a parking lot.
Passed a row of cars.. passed the Leominster House of Pizza, where I used to get the biggest and best pepperoni pizzas any kid just finished with a little league or street hockey game has ever had.
and we pulled in for a quick stop at the Dunkin' Donuts.

Hey wow, they added a Dunkin Donuts in our little Johnny Appleseed Plaza. Cool! Hey wait a minute...


View Larger Map

Yep.. seems dude at Google didn't turn the camera off when he stopped in for a piss and a cup of Joe, I guess.

1 comment:

chuck said...

Busted! This is hilarious. Good detective work, Inspector.