Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Facial Hair against Prostate Cancer


So I'm spending the Month of November growing a moustache. Technically it's a Van Dyke right now.. and technically that's against the rules.. but I'll get to that in a second.

A few weeks ago, my Dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Based on all the tests they've done, things look like it'll be okay. Scans indicate that, as well as anyone can tell, the cancer doesn't look like it's spread. And, although the biopsy indicates the cancer is pretty aggressive, this particular kind of cancer is about 90% treatable. Dad's begun a kind of hormone therapy that, by all accounts, does an incredible job at stopping the cancerous cells in their tracks.

So we remain cautiously optimistic. And in another couple of months, they'll do some follow-up tests and we'll know if this therapy has been effective and go from there.

You may be asking-- What the hell does all this have to do with Facial Hair?

Fair question.

Coincidentally or not, around the time that all this was going on, I spotted this tweet from @kevinrose about some kind of fundraiser to fight prostate cancer. The fundraiser is run by a group called Movember-- working with the Prostate Cancer Foundation. It took a couple of days to percolate in my head, but pretty soon it all came together.

For as long as I've been alive, my Dad has worn a moustache. I've never actually seen his upper lip in person. So it just makes sense for me to do this. And hopefully, we can have a little fun in the process and raise a little money for a good cause.

Now my Dad is not someone wanting to be made over.. in fact, I'm not sure he's crazy about this idea in the first place.

So it's not much-- but it's a little something I can do. We've recruited a bunch of my local Nashville friends and acquaintances-- Team Nash Stache-- and we're all growing some Mo's and publicizing for a good cause.

Want to help? Here's what you can do:

If you'd like to 'donate to my Mo', you have two options:

1. Click this link and donate online using your credit card or PayPal account, or

2. Write a check payable to the ‘Prostate Cancer Foundation', referencing my Registration Number 1827631 and mailing it to:

Prostate Cancer Foundation
Attn: Movember
1250 Fourth St
Santa Monica, CA, 90401

All donations are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

The money raised by Movember is donated directly to the Prostate Cancer Foundation which will use the funds for high-impact research to find better treatments and a cure for prostate cancer.

Another option-- even though it's the 11th of November already-- it's not too late, if you'd like to join Team Nash Stache.

So come on and help us out. It's fun. And check out my Mo Space page for periodic updates. Who knows.. if I get to liking this thing, I might just keep it.

No comments: