Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering...

On days like today, I try to take a little time to think about some of the truly amazing things people have done for our country, for the sake of freedom and democracy here and around the world.

In my own family, I think about three people, in particular.

First, my father. He served for 21 years, first in the Army and took part in the post-war occupation of Germany. Then, a few years later, re-joined in the Air Force and was involved in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars. This picture was taken in 1950 at a site in Troy AL. My dad is standing in the back row, third from the left.



My uncle, Pat, served in World War II as a medic in the Philippines. He was injured in combat there on May 8, 1945, after delivering aid to more than 15 of his wounded comrades. He was awarded the Silver Star and a Purple Heart.













And finally-- I've been thinking today about my father's first cousin, Kieran Culliton, who was killed in action on December 27 1944 when his bomber, a B-24 from the 707th Bomb Squadron in the 446th Bomb Group, was shot down over the North Sea. Just a year earlier, Kieran had graduated from Harvard University, class of 1943. In this photo, he's kneeling, 2nd from the left.

For these and other members of my family, and for all those who have served in the name of freedom and democracy, I am humbled and grateful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am grateful as well. That is some history you're family has.

Anonymous said...

great post! Thanks for sharing.

D Mac said...

My father (Lt. McGowan, co-pilot) was on the same B-24 as your father's cousin Kieran. He also died when that Liberator ditched in the Channel on 27 Dec 1944.

- Sarah said...

Hey, I was doing research on the internet about Kieran Culliton and came across your blog. Kieran was my grandpa's brother. My grandpa was Daniel J Culliton. Who is your father?? Would love to hear more about our family connection.

Best,
Sarah

john culleton said...

Could you give some info on Kieran Culliton i am Irish and think he may be my dads cousin and mine too.
John Culliton
Ireland